If you are lucky enough, like me, to have swathes of violets rampaging through your garden, then this is a winter activity for anyone with Martha Stewart or OCD tendencies.
- Pick your violets, leaving them on a long stem.
- Wash if necessary (I skipped this step) and leave to dry thoroughly
- Whip the white of one egg to stiff peaks
- Using a child's paintbrush (never used in paint) brush the egg white onto all parts of the flower, front and back
- Dust with castor sugar, leave no area undusted. Paint extra egg white if necessary.
- leave to dry for 24 hrs
- pack into an airtight container, should last for a month
Imagine cupcakes with these little beauties on top. Or a vanilla cake with cream cheese icing, mmmm
There is a trick to painting the flowers, check that out here: https://www.facebook.com/amazing.rosebud