Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Start of the Preserving

I find it so exciting going when there is more produce in the garden than we can eat on a daily basis.  Then my mind works overtime trying to figure out what to do with the glut before it spoils.


The first things ready have been Broad Beans, or to give them their fancy name, Fava Beans.  I ended up using a recipe adapted from my treatment of artichoke hearts last year.
Fava Beans in dressing
Blanch the broad beans for 3 minutes.  Pack into clean Agee jars. To each jar add several sprigs of thyme, 1 clove garlic chopped,  1/2 teaspoon salt and a grind of pepper.  Make 1 part olive oil,  2 parts white vinegar, 1 part lemon juice dressing.  Heat till hot in the microwave.  Pour over the beans, leaving 1 inch head space.  Process at 15 lbs of pressure for 35 mins.
At the same time I made some Leek and Potato soup base and they are processing together.
I really like canning. Food doesn't spoil or get freezer burn the way it can in a freezer, and there is no defrosting.  Just take off the shelf and heat well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment