Friday, July 18, 2014

Lavosh, my Gosh

We have just got back from a week in South Australia, mainly in the Barossa Valley, and,  along with wine tasting and what have you, we had a few "Tasting Plates" of breads, olives, local salamis, and LAVOSH.  
I have never heard of it, or made it, and basically it is a big cracker!  but what deliciousness...salty, crunchy and sesame flavoured.
So, with the internet as my guide I have rustled these up this morning.  I followed an Annabel Langbein recipe, but simplified the rolling and cooking part, which she had made very complicated by cutting on the bench and transferring strips etc onto the baking tray.  I just put the whole round or oblong onto the tray and then cut it up and baked it.  I also used waaaaaay less sesame seeds, as the breads we tried only had a taste of them, and not so many.  I felt her recipe was heavy handed.

Here's what I did:
1 1/3 cups white flour
1t salt
1T sesame seeds and 1T Linseeds
Mix these in a bowl.

In a cup mix 1T sesame oil, 1/3c good olive oil and 1/2c water.

Mix wet onto dry to make a soft pliable dough.  Taking golfball sized pieces roll them out very thinly (almost seethrough), into a round or an oblong.  Transfer onto a baking sheet lined tray. Brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and some dried rosemary.  Cut into rounds (if a circle) or 1inch wide strips (if an oblong).  Separate the piece slightly on the tray.

Bake 15mins at 165C


2 comments:

  1. sounds delish and easy. this is like what I use to make chipati

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a very similar recipe to make water crackers - they're just cut smaller.

    I'd never thought of doing it like this though, thank you.

    ReplyDelete