Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's Elderberry Wine time


I know this as, variously, "Elderberry Wine", "Gentleman's Wine" and "Elderberry Port". Whatever you like to call it, it is deliciously reminiscent of Mulled Wine, and when you look at the ingredients you see why...Ginger, Cloves, Cinnamon Stick, and lots and lots of red elderberries.

This is the drink to make to warm the cockles of your heart.

Elderberries are ready now, dark red, hanging hands of berries. They are not good for eating, but do make a delicious drink (and a jelly, which I remember making a few years ago).

In the pot is the fragrant spice mix, and I will put up the recipe when I have time. It's not complicated, but there are several steps, which you do over a few days. So you do the juicing, then a few days later strain and ferment and then again about a week later put into a container for keeping. It is well worth any effort (tho' I declare effort there is none of LOL).


No comments:

Post a Comment