Saturday, January 16, 2010

Plum Sauce, the old fashioned way

A friend of mine gave me 4 bags of plums yesterday, one lot for eating and the rest for what? A serendipitous recipe in the local rag caught my attention this morning, "Old Fashioned Plum Sauce".

In between doing washing, and visiting friends today I have cooked up a batch, and wow, it is great. Its quite hot and not very sweet (unlike the chinese one, which I always find sweet), and it has a good kick to it.

OLD FASHIONED PLUM SAUCE
3kg Plums
2 Onions, chopped roughly
3 cloves Garlic, crushed
1.5kg white Sugar
6c Malt Vinegar
2T salt
1t Cayenne Pepper
2t Ground Cloves
2t Ground Ginger
2t Black Pepper

I didnt have ground ginger and used a large piece of fresh root ginger, with great results.

Combine all ingredients, pop into jam pan or similar large pot. Slowely bring to boil and cook uncovered till onions are soft.

Rub sauce through a colander or sieve to get out all the stones (be very particular). Return to the pot and heat gently to blend. I then whizzed with the whizz stick.

Pour into hot sterile bottles and seal.

Makes about 4 litres. I have been collecting old wine bottles and it made 5 bottles. Just wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment