Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mushroom Magic

Ah, Mushrooms....Some think them slimy nasties, others find them divine. I fall into the divine camp.

A pot of mushroom soup is just simmering on my stove as I write this. The warm, yet wet weather has prompted the springing up of large plate sized white mushrooms all over the fields round here. As a bonus, the greenways in Cromwell have them, and outside the BP station, and on the grassland by the Big Fruit. It seems everywhere I go my eyes are not on the road, but on the roadside. I can't help but keep a sharp eye out, so that when I spot some I come to a halt and run out and pluck them...

My dehydrator comes into its own, as mushrooms dehydrate really well and will keep for years once dried. (That's if you dont eat them first). Rehydrate and use on pizza or for soup, or just crush straight into spagetti bolognaise sauce.

Anna's Mushroom Soup

Saute an onion and a clove of garlic in some oil or butter. Chop all the mushrooms you have gathered, add to the pan, then pour over 1/2c cream and top up with milk till the mushrooms are well covered. Add 2 dried mushrooms, crushed. Simmer genly for a few mins. Add salt and lots of pepper. Whizz with the whizz stick, pour into bowls and garnish with chopped fresh chives and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment